St Mary Magdalene's, Dundee

Remembrance Corner

Remembrance Plaques This corner was specially created after a particularly serious outbreak of dry rot caused us to dismantle half the wall between the organ and the east window. The war memorial plaques were previously in the porch, but it was felt that there should be a more worthy place to remember the 117 young men who died in the First World War, and the 28 who died in the Second World War. The marble plaques for the 1914–18 war contain separate lists for the mother church and the two missions — All Saints' and Holy Trinity. The majority of those who died served in the Black Watch (48), but five were in the Royal Navy and one was in the RAF. The loss of so many young men from one congregation can be imagined. The brass plaque for the 1939–45 war was originally placed on the back of the memorial pulpit which was brought from the old St MM in 1952.

From 1985, St Mary Magdalene's has been host to the annual services of the Burma Star Association. We were host to the Scottish Area Service of Remembrance and Commemoration in August 1992, for which we commissioned an anthem from the composer, David Dorward: "For your Tomorrow, we gave our today" — the words of the Kohima Epitaph. The Choir was invited to go down to the Royal Albert Hall in London and sang the anthem in the presence of 5,000 veterans and their families. Their colours were laid up in August 2000 and a special book lists all the Dundee members who were part of the XIV Army in Burma. The plaque on the left commemorates their deeds of valour in a very fierce and bitter war.

Choir in London